Start Date Jun - Aug 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only
Benishangul-Gumuz (BSG) is one of Ethiopia’s emerging regional states with an estimated total population of nearly a million people. The Regional Health Bureau (RHB) is making every effort to provide integrated, effective, and equitable health services through the extensively expanding primary health care program.
Currently, there are 37 Health Centres and 398 Health Posts operating as primary health care units for the general community and few more are under construction. Nonetheless, limitation of skilled health workers, supplies, and management support has impeded the quality of services provided in most of these health facilities.
Pawe College of health science is the only health science college managed by the regional health bureau in addition to the federal university, Assosa University. This college has no Gender Advisor that helps to analyze gaps that hinder the institution to serve the community at scale.
The overall objective of the placement is to support and improve the English proficiency of college instructors, students and other administrative staff through in-service training which helps to improve the quality of education, so that students and instructors can fulfil their potential. Teachers often lack the facility with English to be able to effectively teach their pupils. So this placement will help them to meet the objectives for producing competent health professionals.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Support the development of English language-focused Continuous Professional Development
- Conduct training need assessments and capacity building sessions for teachers, students and administration staff
- Strengthen links with other similar institutions, so that good practice and expertise can be shared
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation, and give feedback regarding progress to the college
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Degree in English Language or related field & a TEFL or TESL teaching qualification
Essential Professional Background:
Minimum of 2 years teaching experience in an active learning environment or volunteering activities
Pawe Health Science College
Established in 1992, the Pawe Health Science College operates as the only health institution in the region and is aimed at reducing mobility, mortality and disability in Ethiopia. They also hope to improve the health status of the region by providing a comprehensive package of preventive, promotive, rehabilitative and basic curative health services via a decentralized and democratized health system in collaboration with all stakeholders.
The college has been under the management of the Benishangul-Gumuz Regional Health Bureau since 1995 and their vision is to ensure a healthy, productive and prosperous regional population.
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement. Volunteers also have the option of requesting support from an e-volunteer to help them with their work while they are in placement.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for assessment and training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to an assessment day, training course, international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.