Start Date Jun - Aug 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements Spanish
Spanish Reading: Level 3, Writing: Level 3, Speaking: Level 3
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Candidates that have the right background for this placement but are not at the right level of fluency may be offered Spanish classes while in country provided they are willing to invest time to learn Spanish before their placement.
Please submit a Spanish Resume and Statement of Interest
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
We are looking for a volunteer who can help our partner in Nicaragua implement a new program at the Agricultural Science Faculty. The university wants to develop their Aquaponics program that can be practiced at the University and installed in local farms.
By bringing your knowledge, experience and specialization, you will help UCATSE better understand the potential that Aquaponics has in improving production and the way farmers in the area will use these systems in the future. You will work the development of curriculum for university students, as well as support the integration of these systems and technologies in the Estelí region.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Develop a module for postgraduate studies on aquaponics
- Train permanent staff in aquaponics
- Provide tutoring to students on aquaponics projects
Essential Academic Qualifications:
University degree in Agricultural Sciences / Aquaculture / Aquaponics
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience in project development
- Knowledge of aquaponics
Universidad Catolica Agropecuaria del Tropico Seco
Our partner, the Private Catholic University (Universidad Catolica Agropecuaria del Tropico Seco) was established in 1968 and is located in Esteli, Nicaragua. From the University-Society perspective, UCATSE (for its acronym in Spanish) is moving forward with the integral formation of people with human, spiritual and scientific excellence, committed to social development and becoming an educational institution of national and international reference with pontifical recognition.
Universidad Catolica Agropecuaria del Tropico Seco has a strong presence in the North part of Nicaragua, being the first university in this zone that responds to the demand of people.
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement. Volunteers also have the option of requesting support from an e-volunteer to help them with their work while they are in placement.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for assessment and training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to an assessment day, training course, international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.