Cuso International’s e-volunteering program welcomes new and returning volunteers to work with our international program partners and volunteers remotely. E-volunteering offers many of the benefits gained from on-site volunteering, while having the extra advantage of fitting in one's regular weekly schedule without needing a passport. Contributing and giving back to a community, gaining new skills, and making new connections are common benefits of e-volunteering and for Cuso International it is a great opportunity to engage more people in its mission.
Online placement (E-Volunteer)
Partner Location Nigeria
Start Date Oct - Dec 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 6 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only
As an e-volunteer Digital Communications Advisor, you will work with Education as a Vaccine against AIDS and partners to develop and implement a communications strategy to advocate for advancement in the sexual and reproductive rights of adolescents and young people. You will support the deployment of a technology-based internal communication system to aid collaboration between Education as a Vaccine against AIDS, partners and the Cuso International volunteer.
Please note that this e-volunteer placement is open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents, however, we may consider applicants from other citizenships based on their skills and background.
As part of the assessment process, applicants selected for an interview will be asked to submit samples of their written work in the form of articles, reports, etc.
As an e-volunteer, you will:
- Support Education as a Vaccine against AIDS in identifying virtual platforms to support internal communication and collaboration amongst partners while also strengthening their capacity in the use of these platforms and provide daily support as needed.
- Support the development of advocacy communication tools and products including policy briefs, position papers, call to actions, human interest videos etc. while also contributing to develop project updates, case studies, success stories and reports for submission to the donor organization and use in Education as a Vaccine against AIDS's external communication.
- Contribute to the execution of situation analysis to determine the status of adolescent and young people's sexual and reproductive health and rights. This includes contributing to the development of tools, analysis and preparation of reports.
- Support the development of tools to track the effect of the communication strategy in achieving the project outcomes.
- Working with the capacity building volunteer to support capacity building of partners in the area of strategic communication.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in the fields of Communication and Media, Public Relations
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience in the communications and media and campaigning
Essential Professional Background:
- Comfortable working virtually and independently
- Excellent presentational and writing skills including use of digital technologies, social media tools and multimedia technologies;
- Understanding of social context within the African region and/or Nigeria would be an advantage.
Cuso International is a development organization that works to reduce poverty and inequality through the efforts of highly skilled volunteers, collaborative partnerships and compassionate donors. We envision a world where all people are able to realize their potential, develop their skills and participate fully in society. We believe in the power of people, value diversity and take responsibility for our actions and proactively demonstrate that we work with and on behalf of others. Cuso International works in developing countries across the world. We currently have programs in eighteen countries.
Tips for working in an online environment are available in our E-volunteering Toolkit found on our website, http://www.cusointernational.org/docs/default-source/publications/Training-Resources/e-volunteering-toolkit.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Based on approval, we will provide reimbursement for communications expenses related to your placement, such as Skype minutes, photocopying, and mail. We will reimburse to a maximum amount of $20 per month, with receipts, to a maximum of $100 for the length of the placement. Long-distance telephone call expenses will not be covered.
Technical requirements and considerations: E-Volunteers are expected to supply their own basic home office equipment and have a moderate knowledge of computer technology. Some of our partners are located in remote areas with unreliable internet connection. Consequently, it is reasonable to assume that when working with the partners, emails will not be responded to immediately. For most of our partners, this is their first experience working with e-volunteers and flexibility and patience will be required for this placement.
E-Volunteering Success Stories
E-Volunteering: Virtual Teams Making a Real Difference
Creating online support teams to support emerging social entrepreneurs
E-Mentoring: International Development One Email at a Time
Direct e-mentoring - mobilizing Canadian interns, supported by seasoned e-mentors
Online crowd sourcing: Good Globalization
Mobilizing classrooms to produce valuable market research data - Cuso International alumnus leads students at one BC college in helping rice farmers in Laos