Start Date Jun - Aug 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
Working together with the 4-H Guyana Steering Committee and existing 4-H Clubs, the volunteer will work to strengthen the current offerings and expand the program. The 4-H Guyana program is a new initiative which was re-launched in the country, after a hiatus of nearly 40 years. Currently three educational institutions are running 4-H clubs, and two more institutions are expected to come on board by the end of 2016. There is also the possibility of future community clubs. Currently the initiative is very small and the Steering Committee is made up of volunteer members, who all have full-time jobs. Additionally, the volunteer will support Cuso Guyana partners and the program office in expanding networking opportunities.
Cuso International is implementing various projects in 22 countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean under our current funding agreements from 2015-2020. We are looking for experienced international volunteers who will contribute to the expansion and implementation of these projects in 2017/18, specifically by supporting the development and writing of Cuso volunteer placements – international and e-placements. As the Volunteer Placement Development Advisor, you will be responsible for supporting the Cuso International Program Office staff and its partner organizations in the development and writing of international volunteer placement descriptions and e-volunteering placement descriptions, which meet Cuso International’s Strategic Plan and volunteer placement commitments for the 2017/18 fiscal year. This is a unique opportunity to be involved with the implementation of Cuso’s country strategy and to interact with a wide range of local partners.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Conduct a needs assessment and develop an action plan for the 4-H Guyana Steering Committee. Support the 4-H Guyana Steering Committee to develop and implement a strategic plan.
- In conjunction with 4-H Guyana Steering Committee, 4-H Club leaders and members, and using the existing 4-H Jamaica curriculum as a guide, develop a Guyana-specific curriculum for 4-H Club projects. Support 4-H Guyana Steering Committee in engaging government, private sector and other key stakeholders to garner institutional and financial support for the 4-H program.
- Assist with the development of a tracking system for 4-H Club activities and facilitate networking between the clubs. Support Cuso Guyana partners in expanding networking opportunities.
- In collaboration with partner organizations and country program office staff, write the placement descriptions and input them into the Cuso International Database. Support Cuso International country program office staff by liaising with Cuso International Head Quarters staff to review applicant CVs and follow up with partners for feedback on CVs.
- Review and update key country program documents and country briefing documentation.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
University degree in Social Sciences, Communications, International Development, Business, Administration or related field.
Essential Professional Background:
- 3 years’ experience, working in program/project management.
- Experience working in cross-cultural environments with multiple stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal, networking and facilitation skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Experience working with youth
Cuso International Guyana
Cuso International is implementing a relatively new project in the Caribbean that is focused on two key program areas: Inclusive Sustainable Economic Growth (ISEG) and Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (ISEG).
Cuso International Guyana has and is developing strategic program interventions that support the orgainzation to have maximum impact with its available resources in these two program areas.
The organization has built and is seeking to develop additional partnerships with a cross-section of organizations from government, civil society and the private sector to make an impact at different levels - from policy development at the regional level to working with grassroots organizations to address specific issues at the community level.
The Caribbean program, implemented in Guyana and Jamaica, is managed as one program with Country Program Offices in Georgetown, Guyana and Kingston, Jamaica.
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement. Volunteers also have the option of requesting support from an e-volunteer to help them with their work while they are in placement.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for assessment and training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to an assessment day, training course, international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.