Cuso International’s e-volunteering program welcomes new and returning volunteers to work with our international program partners and volunteers remotely. E-volunteering offers many of the benefits gained from on-site volunteering, while having the extra advantage of fitting in one's regular weekly schedule without needing a passport. Contributing and giving back to a community, gaining new skills, and making new connections are common benefits of e-volunteering and for Cuso International it is a great opportunity to engage more people in its mission.
Online placement (E-Volunteer)
Partner Location Honduras
Start Date May – Jul 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 3 Months
Language Requirements Spanish, English
Spanish Reading: Level 3, Writing: Level 3, Speaking: Level 3
English Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only
As an e-volunteer, you will be responsible for working with all areas of intranet system to analyze application needs/problems and provide solutions thru requirement analysis, system design and review, coding, testing and implementation. You will maintain a high degree of self-sufficiency on tasks with minimal oversight required.
An Intermediate level of Spanish language is an asset but is not mandatory for this e-volunteer placement.
As an e-volunteer, you will:
- Research, design, and develop applications to input, store, retrieve, and report data using C#, ASP.Net, SQL, HTML, XML, CSS, Java Scripts, Ajax, jQuery, PDF manipulation and other development tools as recommended by the organization.
- Interviewing users to identify the scope of the applications, documenting and flowcharting, integrating applications into network environment, testing the product before implementation, and writing necessary procedures
- Monitor application status and perform necessary administrative configurations to achieve best response time and reduce or eliminate unnecessary or accidental shutdowns.
- Examine custom applications developed to determine overall integration and compatibility with the network and other programs;
- Respond to and resolve issues that arise with applications by researching the request, estimating time to complete, changing the necessary code, testing, and implementing.
- Work with management team to understand information security requirements and follow industry best practices to safeguard Non-Public Information entrusted.
- Review applications and operational deployments to identity system security vulnerabilities and present ideas on system improvements.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems from a four-year college or university.
- Certificates and Licenses: Microsoft certification preferred: MCSD and/or MCAD.
Essential Professional Background:
A minimum of 3 years in technical design and development in a Microsoft environment using Object-oriented programming languages like C#/VB.Net, C++, Java. Web programming with ASP.Net, HTML, CSS, XML, Java Scripts. Experience with Ajax, jQuery, SSRS reporting desired, but not mandatory.
Coordinadora de Instituciones y Asociaciones de Rehabilitación de Honduras
The Coordinator of Institutions and Organizations of Rehabilitation Services in Honduras (CIARH) is an NGO whose main objective is to promote and contribute with the strengthening of its members. Their main goal is to contribute to enhancing the quality of life of people with disabilities to facilitate the execution of their rights as human beings.
Tips for working in an online environment are available in our E-volunteering Toolkit found on our website, http://www.cusointernational.org/docs/default-source/publications/Training-Resources/e-volunteering-toolkit.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Based on approval, we will provide reimbursement for communications expenses related to your placement, such as Skype minutes, photocopying, and mail. We will reimburse to a maximum amount of $20 per month, with receipts, to a maximum of $100 for the length of the placement. Long-distance telephone call expenses will not be covered.
Technical requirements and considerations: E-Volunteers are expected to supply their own basic home office equipment and have a moderate knowledge of computer technology. Some of our partners are located in remote areas with unreliable internet connection. Consequently, it is reasonable to assume that when working with the partners, emails will not be responded to immediately. For most of our partners, this is their first experience working with e-volunteers and flexibility and patience will be required for this placement.
E-Volunteering Success Stories
E-Volunteering: Virtual Teams Making a Real Difference
Creating online support teams to support emerging social entrepreneurs
E-Mentoring: International Development One Email at a Time
Direct e-mentoring - mobilizing Canadian interns, supported by seasoned e-mentors
Online crowd sourcing: Good Globalization
Mobilizing classrooms to produce valuable market research data - Cuso International alumnus leads students at one BC college in helping rice farmers in Laos