Online placement (E-Volunteer)
Partner Location Honduras
Start Date May - Jul 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 3 Months
Language Requirements Spanish, English
Spanish Reading: Level 3, Writing: Level 3, Speaking: Level 3
English Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only
As a Web Designer/Developer e-volunteer, you will be responsible for the design, layout and coding of a website. As an e-volunteer, you will be involved with the technical and graphical aspects of a website - how the site works and how it looks. The developer might also be involved with the maintenance and update of the site.
You will also be responsible for improving and enhancing the overall operation of the organization by providing skills, expertise and knowledge around web technologies (both inter- and intranet).
An Intermediate level in Spanish is an asset but is not mandatory for this e-volunteer placement.
As an e-volunteer, you will:
- Establishing the target audience for a website and identifying the type of content it will host.
- Write the programming code, either from scratch or by adapting existing website software and graphics packages to meet organizational requirements.
- Test the website and identify any technical problems.
- Upload the site to a server and register it with different search engines.
- Develop and maintain Internet/Intranet applications and web pages to meet end-user requirements.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Management Information Systems strongly preferred. Five to seven years in .NET development experience in lieu of education degree.
- Advanced concepts, practices, and procedures within the web-development field. Experience with Visual Basic, VB .NET, SQL, ORACLE, HTML, and XM
Essential Professional Background:
- Minimum of three to five years of Internet Development experience using .NET or Java technologies.
Programa de Rehabilitación de Parálisis Cerebral
Be a model institution, a leader in comprehensive rehabilitation care and quality processes of inclusion for people in disability status, primarily with cerebral palsy, neuromotor disorders and / or special educational needs at national level; contributing to the equalization of opportunities for inclusion into society while respecting their rights and improving their standard of living and that of their family.
We are an established organization, nonprofit, which provides excellent quality care and warmth to people living in disability and / or special educational needs primarily with neuromotor disorders and their families through programs, services and innovative projects aimed at achieving sustainability and self management.
Tips for working in an online environment are available in our E-volunteering Toolkit found on our website, http://www.cusointernational.org/docs/default-source/publications/Training-Resources/e-volunteering-toolkit.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Based on approval, we will provide reimbursement for communications expenses related to your placement, such as Skype minutes, photocopying, and mail. We will reimburse to a maximum amount of $20 per month, with receipts, to a maximum of $100 for the length of the placement. Long-distance telephone call expenses will not be covered.
Technical requirements and considerations: E-Volunteers are expected to supply their own basic home office equipment and have a moderate knowledge of computer technology. Some of our partners are located in remote areas with unreliable internet connection. Consequently, it is reasonable to assume that when working with the partners, emails will not be responded to immediately. For most of our partners, this is their first experience working with e-volunteers and flexibility and patience will be required for this placement.
E-Volunteering Success Stories
E-Volunteering: Virtual Teams Making a Real Difference
Creating online support teams to support emerging social entrepreneurs
E-Mentoring: International Development One Email at a Time
Direct e-mentoring - mobilizing Canadian interns, supported by seasoned e-mentors
Online crowd sourcing: Good Globalization
Mobilizing classrooms to produce valuable market research data - Cuso International alumnus leads students at one BC college in helping rice farmers in Laos