Start Date Sep - Nov 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 5, Writing: Level 5, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The overall objective of this placement is to support the development of the financial systems at NAG, a Myanmar NGO whose aim is to foster sustainable development initiatives in Costal, Delta and Dry Zone. You will work to strengthen NAG’s financial systems and operations, provide training to the existing staff and support the implementation of financial tools. With more than 300 staff, growing programs and the potential for humanitarian emergencies at any point, NAG needs to perfect and maintain a rigorous budgeting, accounting, and reporting system. The finance team will be trained to ensure sustainability of rigorous and transparent finance methods.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Assist NAG's Finance Policy and internal control system and synchronization
- Strengthen the capacity of NAG Finance staff
- Provide technical support on installation and up and running of Quick Book software
- Provide support on consolidated Financial reports for the whole organization; to assist in the preparation of internal and external auditing processes.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to finance; Master’s is preferred.
Essential Professional Background:
- Accountant with minimum 5 years of experience managing funds for an organization with multiple funding sources.
- Finance trainer/teacher/coach for people who have very basic prior finance knowledge and computer skills. Experience in International Auditing Standard.
- Familiar using Financial Software (preferably Quick Book)
Network Activities Group
Network Activities Group (NAG) started its relief and recovery efforts under the name of Nargis Action Group. Following its registration with the Ministry of Home Affairs, NAG is now contributing to sustainable development efforts in the Delta region of Myanmar, but also in other regions which are facing food and livelihood insecurity.
NAG’s objective is to work for the emergence of a prosperous and developed and society in Myanmar. The approach of NAG focuses on building the capacity of the people, community-based and civil society organizations, to create economic opportunities, and promote good governance in target issue areas.
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement. Volunteers also have the option of requesting support from an e-volunteer to help them with their work while they are in placement.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for assessment and training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to an assessment day, training course, international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.