Start Date Jun - Aug 2017 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open To All Nationalities
The Youth Leadership Entrepreneurship Access and Development (YouLead) project supports the creation of young male and female-led enterprises and employment for young women and men in natural resource sectors such as forestry, agriculture, aquaculture and eco-tourism across 18 Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Cross River State (CRS).
The project strengthens the capacity of government stakeholders, young women and men serving civil society organizations, training organizations, and financial institutions to develop and implement a policy framework as the basis of increasing employment, promoting entrepreneurship, and secured livelihoods for young women and men. Cuso International is the Canadian Executing Agency of the YouLead project.
Godilogo Farms Nigeria Ltd. participated in the consultations and planning processes providing valued information and experience to young women and men around entrepreneurship and employment which contributed to the YouLead Project Implementation Plan (PIP).
Godilogo Farms is a great platform with competent manpower and resources to complement the YouLead project through the provision of practical technical training to young women and men wishing to create enterprises and gain employment in the natural resources sector in the Cross River State.
The overall purpose of this placement is to further build the technical & managerial capacity of staff at Farms Limited in production skills and increase productivity for the benefit of YouLead students. The overall purpose of the volunteer is to enhance the technical and managerial skills of staff in the processing of cassava and rice.GodilogoGodilogo
As a volunteer, you will:
- Assist in maintaining and repairing mechanical equipment, and components used in the processing of cassava and rice into food and industrial intermediates;machines
- Assist in developing specifications for production and determining material flows, and layout of plant and systems;capacities
- Assist in organizing and managing project and the delivery of materials, and equipment;labourplants
- Assist in establishing standards and policies for installation, modification, quality control, testing, and maintenance according to engineering principles and safety regulations;inspection
- Inspect production equipment to ensure optimum performance is maintained.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
B.Sc. in Mechanical/Production/ or Industrial Engineering.
Essential Professional Background:
- Four years of experience with processing cassava and rice into food and industrial intermediates
- Good experience in maintenance and repair of processing equipment and machines
- Ability to manage production line operations
Godilogo Farms Limited
VISION: To be a world class Nigerian farm contributing significantly to the food security of the nation and positively impacting the socio-economic wellbeing of our community.
MISSION: To use cutting-edge practices in the production of best quality food products and industrial intermediates to meet the nutritional and industrial needs of our people and economy; continuously develop and deliver quality products and services that meet and surpass customer expectations.
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement. Volunteers also have the option of requesting support from an e-volunteer to help them with their work while they are in placement.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for assessment and training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to an assessment day, training course, international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.
My name is Harsh Sodhi, and I am currently enrolled in the full time MBA program at the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto. Last year, Rotman entered into a partnership with Cuso International, whereby, in order to get hands on experience, students who have completed their first year of school can be placed in different parts of the world where Cuso International has a footprint. I spent 10 weeks working with Cuso International on the Youth Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Access and Development (YouLead) project in Calabar, Nigeria.
The YouLead project aims to create employment for youth, specifically in the agribusiness sector, in Cross River State. Project goals include training 12,000 people in the basics of running a business, creating 4,500 new businesses, and creating 2,000 jobs in already established businesses. My specific contribution to the YouLead project is in the form of providing business development support and advice. As such, the work I have done includes site visits to three new Local Government Areas, the creation of a financial literacy pack, data analysis of the project’s grant giving process, and recommendations on how to improve training materials.
As a result of the analysis conducted, the grant process is undergoing a review to make it more effective. Further, the financial literacy pack will ensure that entrepreneurs who were not practicing any form of bookkeeping will now accurately track the financial performance of their businesses, thus opening up avenues of credit from financial institutions.
I am very happy that I have been able to make this contribution and hope that the work I have done will have a long term impact in the lives of the people in Cross River State.