Resonance is an award-winning frontier market solutions firm based in Burlington, Vermont that helps a variety of donor, commercial and investor clients around the world to catalyze lasting impact. We envision a prosperous and just world of thriving markets, healthy ecosystems, and vibrant communities where business, governments and citizens work together creating a better world for all. Resonance seeks to catalyze large-scale social, environmental, and economic change by fostering new and dynamic forms of collaboration. We do this by fostering public-private partnerships, facilitating sustainable investment, and providing deep analytical insights in frontier markets. We strive to merge strategic insight with practical on-the-ground knowledge into an integrated approach that emphasizes results. We seek candidates who are ready to apply their analytical and problem-solving skills to some of our planet’s greatest challenges in an entrepreneurial, fun, and fast-paced environment. We are looking for passionate and committed people who can work in a highly collaborative environment to deliver results for our clients and stakeholders around the world.
Resonance is seeking candidates to join our dynamic team in the role of Technical Director on the 5-year, $24 million, Promoting Excellence in Private Sector Engagement (PEPSE) project, which works to support the integration of private sector engagement (PSE) across the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). With guidance from the US Global Development Lab’s Center for Transformational Partnerships (CTP), the Technical Director will work closely with the Project Director, PEPSE team members and other stakeholders (e.g. Resonance and PEPSE network consultants, subcontractors) to provide on-demand support to missions, bureaus, and independent offices (MBIOs) to develop and implement private sector engagement (PSE) strategies and initiatives. The Technical Director will be responsible for technical leadership and management of a portfolio of PSE technical and implementation support, training, and strategic advisory engagements. Primary tasks include: working with CTP and MBIOs to define the purpose and measures of success behind specific assignments, structuring appropriate SOWs, engagement teams, and implementation plans; and collaborating with CTP to deliver high-quality advisory services to client MBIOs. Further, s/he will help PEPSE contribute to CTP’s thought leadership in the areas of private sector engagement and partnership. S/he will play a key role in achieving PEPSE’s goals of facilitating knowledge sharing, networking, and providing data-driven tools for PSE practitioners within USAID.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC, reporting to the PEPSE Project Director.
The Technical Director will lead initiatives in the following areas:
Lead delivery of PSE Technical, Training, and Advisory Services to USAID MBIOs
• Lead collaboration with CTP Activity Managers and USAID missions, bureaus and independent offices (MBIOs) to design and deliver technical support, training, and advisory service engagements that advance PSE strategies and outcomes across the Agency. This includes engagement scoping, budgeting, staffing, quality assurance, quality control, relationship management, subcontractor oversight, and the management of a portfolio of often concurrent technical tasks.
• Assure reliable and consistent provision of above services to CTP Activity Manager and Mission clients and timely completion of client deliverables.
• When possible, serve as a technical expert and/or team lead for specific engagements.
• Assure that all engagement help MBIOs integrate PSE and enterprise-led development models and practices into MBIO strategies, programs, and operations. Technical, analytical, and advisory tasks may involve a variety of sectors (e.g. food security, WASH, education, health, democracy and governance, natural resource management) and development topics (e.g. financial inclusion, digital development, impact investment, sustainable supply chains, etc.)
• As necessary, co-design, facilitate, and/or support capacity building initiatives that aim to improve the ‘PSE skill set’ of PEPSE colleagues, CTP staff, and MBIO clients.
• Collaborate closely with PEPSE and Resonance HQ colleagues to determine expertise required for delivery of excellent PSE technical and advisory support services. This includes identifying and mobilizing consultant and PEPSE subcontractor expertise
• Collaborate with PEPSE and Resonance HQ colleagues to ensure compliance with corporate, project. and USAID expectations, policies, and regulations.
Contribute to PSE Thought Leadership
• Contribute to PEPSE’s and CTP’s learning agenda, especially through distilling lessons from the Technical Advisory workstream and making them available for use in improving training content, as well as the PEPSE KM, Data and Insights and Communications teams.
• Contribute to thought leadership efforts that help integrate PSE across the Agency as well as contribute to the wider community’s discussions around market-driven development.
• Provide analytical insight and support for MBIO clients through the generation of compelling reports and presentations
• Work with PEPSE Project Director to respond to internal support requests from CTP as requested, including:
o Support and/or lead engagement with selected corporate partners as part of CTP or Agency priority initiatives
o Contribute to CTP and Agency PSE-related communications materials and events
o Contribute to PSE data and insights activities, leveraging field-based experiences
• Understanding of and demonstrated passion for private sector engagement (PSE), enterprise-led development and corporate sustainability in global development
• Master’s degree (or higher) in international affairs, public administration, public policy, or a related field
• Minimum of seven (7) years or more of progressively responsible work experience in managing complex projects of similar size and scope to the PEPSE Program
• Minimum of two (2) years of overseas field experience working in one or more developing countries
• Minimum of three (3) years of supervisory experience
• A minimum of two (2) years of experience working with USAID or USAID-funded programs, with knowledge of USAID PSE approaches and USAID project management.
• Demonstrated experience in private sector engagement in international development including (but not limited to) private sector work experience in developing (or supporting the development of) innovative approaches to development challenges
• Demonstrated ability to work across sectors, industries, or functions
• Proven ability to work in an a fast-paced, and rapidly changing environment, on several simultaneous projects for several clients
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple engagements and teams, and ensure project expectations are met on budget, on time, and within scope
• Understanding of those concepts and initiatives that will shape USAID’s PSE efforts moving forward (e.g. shared value, collective impact, the SDGs, the BUILD Act, the new PSE Policy)
• Proven client relationship management skills
• Outstanding written and oral communications skills, strong attention to detail
• Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PPT) and OSX applications
• Eligibility to work in US
• Experience working with companies and investors across multiple regions, sectors, and industries
• Demonstrated ability to lead others and build their capacity to take on new roles and responsibilities, thus scaling the impact of an organization or initiative
• Demonstrated facilitation and capacity building skills, preferably in contexts relevant to USAID and potential private sector partners
• Professional certifications from relevant fields (e.g. project management, corporate sustainability, organizational development, facilitation and training, operations improvement)
• Fluency in a foreign language (French, Spanish, or Arabic preferred)
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. Please include “Technical Lead, PEPSE” in the email subject line, and save documents (cover letter, resume, and references) in one PDF as ‘Last Name_First Name.pdf’. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Resonance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.