Director, Natural Capital
|Burlington, VT, or Washington, DC
Resonance is an award-winning frontier market solutions firm based in Burlington, Vermont that helps a variety of donor, commercial and investor clients around the world to catalyze lasting impact. We envision a prosperous and just world of thriving markets, healthy ecosystems, and vibrant communities where business, governments and citizens work together creating a better world for all. Resonance seeks to catalyze large-scale social, environmental, and economic change by fostering new and dynamic forms of collaboration. We do this by fostering public-private partnerships, facilitating sustainable investment, and providing deep analytical insights in frontier markets. We strive to merge strategic insight with practical on-the-ground knowledge into an integrated approach that emphasizes results. We seek candidates who are ready to apply their analytical and problem-solving skills to some of our planet’s greatest challenges in an entrepreneurial, fun, and fast-paced environment. We are looking for passionate and committed people who can work in a highly collaborative environment to deliver results for our clients and stakeholders around the world.
The Director, Natural Capital, leads the growth of the Natural Capital portfolio, manages staff and resourcing, and serves as a thought leader across the company. The Director leads his/her team in identifying, analyzing, and pursuing relevant business development opportunities with donor agencies and commercial clients, and provides strategic technical direction for the growth of the practice area. In addition, s/he manages the team’s workflow and oversees all aspects of project implementation.
The Natural Capital practice’s work spans numerous aspects of natural resource management, including: sustainable fishing, access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), integrated water management, climate resiliency and adaptation, biodiversity conservation, and land tenure and policy. Resonance specializes in private sector engagement, working in partnership with private and public sector entities to promote improved environmental outcomes. We develop partnerships with local and multinational businesses, strengthen conservation and social enterprises, and link sustainable financing to pressing natural capital issues. From advancing sustainable fisheries management in South East Asia to combating wildlife poaching in Africa, Resonance believes we can conserve the environment and support green innovation, benefiting communities, companies, and the planet.
This is a full-time position based in Burlington, VT, or Washington, DC, reporting to the VP, Government Services. Ability to travel internationally on short notice, and US work authorization required.
Business Development (40%)
• Work with the VP, Government Services, and Business Development staff to drive growth of the natural capital practice and the organization by identifying and tracking relevant opportunities and liaising with potential partners
• Support the development and refinement of practice area products and services that align with Resonance’s mission and values
• Lead capture and proposal development processes, providing guidance and vision to proposal teams
• Build lasting relationships with clients based on shared value, trust and a commitment to a better world
Client Engagement and Team Leadership (50%)
• Manage project implementation teams to create and deliver innovative solutions in natural resource management, WASH, climate resilience, and other related technical areas, with a focus on private sector engagement and partnership development
• Build out and lead a team of Natural Capital practice professionals
• Serve as client engagement lead with clients from the donor and commercial sectors
Thought Leadership (10%)
• Promote Resonance as a leader in the natural capital sphere by representing the firm at industry conferences and events
• Oversee the development of blog posts, articles, white papers and other content that demonstrates Resonance’s expertise in the Natural Capital space
• At least 10 years of progressively responsible global development leadership experience
• Master’s degree in business, international development, economics, or a relevant field required
• Proven track-record in managing and growing client relationships, especially with USG donors
• Experiece leading and writing winning proposals, particularly in the natural capital sphere, for USAID, other international donors, foundations and/or corporate clients
• Proficiency in at least one foreign language, preferably Spanish, French or Arabic
• Familiarity with public private partnerships and alliances
• Technical experience in relevant Natural capital areas
• Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
• Enthusiastic, results driven team player
• Outstanding communication skills verbally and in writing
• Proven ability to manage teams, initiate tasks, organize work, establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with specific attention to detail and quality
• Excellent interpersonal, group facilitation and motivational skills
• Experience in tracking industry trends, federal spending, and awards
• Extensive network of industry contacts
• Ability to travel up to 30% internationally
• Eligibility to work in US
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. Please include “Director, Natural Capital” in the email subject line, and save documents (cover letter, resume, and references) in one PDF as ‘Last Name_First Name.pdf’. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Resonance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.