Knowledge Management Consultant
Resonance is an award-winning frontier market solutions firm based in Burlington, Vermont, that helps a variety of donor, commercial and investor clients around the world to catalyze lasting impact. We envision a prosperous and just world of thriving markets, healthy ecosystems, and vibrant communities where business, governments and citizens work together creating a better world for all. Resonance seeks to catalyze large-scale social, environmental, and economic change by fostering new and dynamic forms of collaboration. We do this by fostering public-private partnerships, facilitating sustainable investment, and providing deep analytical insights in frontier markets. We strive to merge strategic insight with practical on-the-ground knowledge into an integrated approach that emphasizes results. We seek candidates who are ready to apply their analytical and problem-solving skills to some of our planet’s greatest challenges in an entrepreneurial, fun, and fast-paced environment. We are looking for passionate and committed people who can work in a highly collaborative environment to deliver results for our clients and stakeholders around the world.
Resonance has been experiencing rapid growth, requiring the development of new systems and processes designed to enable the firm to scale from a small business to a thriving mid-sized global consulting and advisory firm. In response to these changes, Resonance recently completed the development of its first-ever corporate Knowledge Management (KM) strategy. The KM strategy provides a broad framework and approach for ensuring that the company is able to generate, capture, retain and share knowledge efficiently and effectively. We are forming a KM Governance Group, comprised of representatives from a variety of teams across the company, and hiring a dedicated Knowledge Manager to lead the implementation of the strategy across the company.
A key part of the roll out process will be to ensure that our efforts are informed and shaped by best practices and experience of other like-minded organizations. As such, Resonance is looking for experienced Knowledge Management expert to provide advisory support to the Resonance Knowledge Manager and the broader KM Governance Group. It is anticipated that this support will be provided on an on-going and as-needed basis with an expected level of effort between 2-3 days/month.
Specific tasks include:
1. Serve as a sounding board and technical resource on KM initiatives, such as taxonomy, database design/functionality, communities of practice, etc.
2. Review KM documents and products, providing timely guidance and feedback.
3. Share best practices and insights from other organizations and institutions.
4. Advise the Resonance KM Governance Group on the implementation and roll-out of the company KM strategy, tools, technologies, processes, documents, etc.
5. Support the development of quarterly KM updates for the leadership team.
6. Provide mentoring and feedback to the Resonance Knowledge Manager.
7. Other tasks, as requested by the Resonance KM team.
8. Travel to Burlington, VT headquarters for specific, key events during the engagement.
• Written review and commentary on Resonance KM Strategy.
• Regular phone/skype calls with Resonance Knowledge Manager.
• Written and oral feedback on KM products, tools, etc., as requested.
• Participation in KM Governance Group Meetings.
• Brief monthly summary of tasks completed and underway.
• Other deliverables as requested by the Resonance KM team.
Estimated Level of Effort
• Up to 15 days over (Oct 2019-March 2020)
• Master's degree in relevant field preferred.
• A minimum of eight years of progressive work experience in a relevant field.
• A strong mix of facilitation, knowledge organization, change management, writing, and IT skills.
• Deep experience designing and implementing technically sound knowledge assets and processes that promote effective technical performance, ideally in an international development organization or consulting firm context.
• Experience educating internal stakeholder groups on the benefits of effective knowledge capture and KM systems.
• Experience monitoring and measuring KM systems to assess their value to organizational efficiency and impact.
• Experience developing an institutional or programmatic learning agenda, and record of success in coaching teams through the process of becoming a more active ‘learning organization’.
• Familiarity with technical issues such as KM taxonomy; protocols for compiling, input and maintenance of knowledge products; and effective design of search tools and functions.
• Familiarity with a range of IT solutions, systems, and frameworks for knowledge management.
• Experience with communities of practice or ‘knowledge sharing networks’ – including crafting community structure, targeted content development, ongoing promotion of community vitality and fostering uptake and engagement in robust KM practices, etc.
• Effective oral and written communication skills and ability to articulate thoughts and ideas to others, targeting these communications to key internal and external audience segments.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references to email@example.com. Please include “Knowledge Management Consultant” in the email subject line, and save documents (cover letter, resume, and references) in one PDF as ‘Last Name_First Name.pdf’. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Resonance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.