Position title: Gender Equality Intern
Position location: Ottawa
Reports to: Gender Equality and Empowerment Advisor
Position level: Level A $15-$20/hour (includes 6% vacation pay)
Contract term: Full-time or 80% for 12-16 weeks
Application deadline: April 2nd 2017
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a leading Canadian international development organization that works with and through its southern partners to promote sustainable development. Founded in 1957 and currently working in 22 countries worldwide with an annual budget of approximately $45 million dollars, WUSC works towards a world where young people can grow up in safe, secure, supportive environments, where they can learn, work and play a vital role in their community and country’s development. Our internationally recognized programs support youth, women and other marginalized populations, focusing on three thematic areas of education, employment and engagement. Globally, WUSC works with a network of higher education institutions, civil society organizations, private sector partners, professionals, students, volunteers, faculty and community leaders that can be leveraged to support our work.
Nature and Scope:
The Gender Equality and Empowerment Intern will support the programmatic work of the Gender Equality and Empowerment Advisor. Primarily, the Intern will also be responsible for supporting WUSC’s gender equality audit to determine the extent to which gender equality is understood and mainstreamed in its operations at a corporate and programmatic level. The audit will inform the development of a new gender strategy for WUSC.
The Intern will be responsible for:
- Work with Gender Equality and Empowerment Advisor and the Audit Working Group;
- Assessing the integration of gender in WUSC projects and programs;
- Gather documentation to support components of the assessment;
- Assist in developing surveys and other assessment tools;
- Take minutes of interviews and relevant meetings;
- Contribute to the draft final audit report including recommendations and an action plan; and,
- Drafting program support materials such as gender analyses for project proposals and tip sheets for programs;
- Conducting background research for project proposals;
- Working with WUSC’s Gender Equality Committee on upcoming learning events;
- Any other duties as required.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field (ie. Gender/women’s studies, international development).
Experience & Competency:
- Sound knowledge of gender and international development issues;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Strong analytical and evaluation skills;
- Experience conducting qualitative and quantitative research;
- Relevant work experience with similar functions (research, assessments, reports);
- Well-developed writing skills: clear, concise, persuasive writing style;
- Strong interpersonal skills – able to work well with teams;
- Excellent administration and organizational skills;
- Understanding of and mature approach to organizational change;
- Ability to draft written materials;
- Appreciation for values that are associated with sustainable development, volunteer cooperation and gender equality.
- Complete fluency, oral and written in English is essential;
- Bilingualism English and French preferred.
WUSC is a leading Canadian non-profit organization in international development, committed to building a more equitable and sustainable world. We work with a unique and powerful network of post-secondary institutions, private-sector partners and volunteers to provide education, employment and empowerment opportunities that improve the lives of millions of disadvantaged youth around the world.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, employment and empowerment.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please register on WUSC’s candidate database.