Position title: HR Officer
Position location: Ottawa
Reports to: Chief Human Resources Officer
Contract term: 1 year (maternity leave replacement)
Application deadline: June 25, 2019
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a leading Canadian non-profit organization in international development, committed to building a more equitable and sustainable world. We work with a unique and powerful network of post-secondary institutions, private-sector partners and volunteers to provide education, employment and empowerment opportunities that improve the lives of millions of disadvantaged youth around the world. WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion and sexual exploitation and abuse of any form.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer, the Human Resources Officer is responsible for delivering all facets of WUSC’s recruitment process for Canadian staff and for coordinating the onboarding and professional development of WUSC personnel. The Human Resources Officer will play a critical role in ensuring we are hiring and developing the best possible talent.
Support the full recruitment cycle
- Develop and execute recruiting plans with hiring managers
- Assist hiring manager with creating or updating job descriptions
- Prepare the job postings, collect and review the resumes, perform pre-screening, coordinate and participate in interviews, coordinate tests and complete reference checks
- Efficiently and effectively fill open positions
- Utilize social media and other websites for active and passive recruitment
- Develop a pool of qualified candidates
- Communicate with managers and employees regularly to establish rapport, gage morale, and source new candidate leads
- Manage the use of recruiters and headhunters when appropriate
- Maintain all pertinent applicant and interview data in the HR filing and information system (Mindscope and ADP/Workforce Now)
- Assist in preparing and sending offer packages
- Coordinate and implement University and College recruiting and internship (and volunteer) initiatives
Coordinate Onboarding and Logistical Support for Training Activities
- Coordinate onboarding process for new hires
- Organize the WUSC orientation session
- Coordinate logistical support for training activities at WUSC
General Support to HR
- Ensure the HR system (ADP/Workforce Now) is updated and kept current, including the homepage and employee documents
- As required provide general administrative support to HR
- University or college graduate in a related field or equivalent experience
- Three years of experience in Human Resources with an emphasis in recruitment
- Experience using online recruitment techniques, tools and systems
- Experience with an HRIS and Applicant Tracking System (ATS) preferably with ADP/Workforce Now and Mindscope
- Solid experience in dealing with HR related issues
- Experience in the International Development sector
- Knowledge of Human Resources practices and the Ontario Employment Standards Act
- Client service orientation
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent ability to multitask with multiple competing deadlines
- Strong administrative and analytical skills
- Proficient in Microsoft office and Google Suite
Language: Fluency in English/French spoken and written is essential.
About WUSC: WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, employment and empowerment. The WUSC office centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
Applications: Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.