Position title: Human Resources and Organizational Development Manager
Position location: Ottawa, ON
Reports to: Executive Director, Farm Radio International
Contract term: Indeterminate
Deadline to apply: November 15, 2019
Nature and Scope:
The HR and OD Manager is a new position at Farm Radio International. The Manager will develop and implement human resources policies, procedures and systems that maximize the contribution of individuals and teams in the achievement of FRI’s strategy, plans and priorities. This will include development and implementation of efficient and cost effective administrative and HR systems. The HR and OD Manager will ensure sustained organizational effectiveness by developing and implementing interventions in FRI’s human resource processes, structures and systems in response to changing organizational contexts, strategies and priorities. This position will also be responsible for the coordination of the activities of the management and consultative committees. This position will be supervising an Administration and Finance Assistant position.
Management of HR Operations:
- Plan, develop and implement strategies for HR management and development (including recruitment and selection policy/practices, discipline, grievance, counseling, payroll and conditions, contracts, training and development, succession planning, morale and motivation, culture and attitude development, performance appraisal and quality management issues);
- Establish and maintain appropriate systems for measuring necessary aspects of HR development;
- Monitor measure and report on HR issues, opportunities and development plans and achievement within agreed formats and timescales;
- Manage and ensure timely disbursement of salaries, bonuses, appraisal and promotions upon direct approval from management;
- Liaise with other functional / departmental head so as to understand all necessary aspects and needs of HR development, and to ensure they are fully informed of HR objectives, purpose and achievements.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of latest HR development theory and methods and provide suitable interpretation to directors, managers and staff within the organization;
- Contribute to the evaluation and development of HR strategy and performance in co-operation with the executive team;
- Ensure activities meet with and integrate with organizational requirement for quality management, health and safety, legal requirements, environmental policies and general duty of care;
- Verify and validate FRI is meeting legal obligations with respect to HR matters (including but not limited to labour laws, salary statements etc..).
- Plan for employee’s performance appraisal; develop tools for appraisal, job evaluation and development.
- Plan and direct training opportunities for employees and management;
- Maintain contact with outside resources for training.
- Supervise the Administration and Finance Assistant position by overseeing the work priorities of the position;
- With the assistance of the Administration and Finance Assistant, ensure the coordination of the activities of the management (Executive Management Committee (EMC)) and consultative committees (Global Leadership Team (GLT) and Country Leadership Team (CLT)) by coordinating meeting schedules, acting as meeting secretary, taking minutes and maintaining records of decisions, recommendations and action items, provide reminders to Chairs and Members of pending action items and, coordinating the dissemination of information to interested relevant parties and staff, as and when appropriate.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline including but not limited to Human Resources, Organizational Development, Business, and Social Sciences.
- Certified Human Resources Leader designation is considered an asset.
- Minimum of five (5) years HR management experience;
- HR/OD experience in an international NGO is desirable;
- HR operational experience and strategic/organizational development experience;
- Experience in the following HR disciplines including recruitment & orientation , labour relations management, occupational health & safety, training and development, organizational development, team building, facilitation, job descriptions and job evaluations, performance management;
- Experience with cloud-based document management systems;
- Experience with issues management and change management;
- Experience in engaging clients during organizational transformation initiatives;
- Experience with committee management and project management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of human resource and organizational development management principles, policies and practices and ability to apply this knowledge to complex problems and develop creative, effective solutions;
- Knowledge and understanding of gender equality issues in development and demonstrable commitment to promoting gender equity within the organisation;
- Knowledge of business plans, workforce plans and strategic plans.
- Ability to apply and interpret a range of legislation, policy and procedures, including safeguarding policies;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, to provide superior customer service, and to function in and support a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent management & leadership skills;
- Excellent conceptual, analytical, documentation and presentation skills;
- Excellent skills in communication and report writing;
- Excellent skills in facilitation and capacity building for inter-linkages amongst staff, partners & stakeholders;
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills;
- Commitment to supportive teamwork;
- Creative and takes initiative;
- Ability to work effectively in a global, multicultural team environment.
Bilingualism (English-French) for clear and effective communications in spoken and written French and English is required
Farm Radio International is a unique international non-profit organization dedicated exclusively to serving African farming families and rural communities through the innovative use of radio and mobile phones. We always work through existing local radio stations. Our network currently includes more than 930 radio partners across 41 sub-Saharan African countries. Building the capacity of these stations and their local stakeholders is central to our approach to building viable communication platforms for long-term sustainable development. We have seven offices in sub-Saharan Africa and run major projects in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Tanzania, and Uganda. And we have worked with funders and partners such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, CABI, Global Affairs Canada, the International Development Research Centre, the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, Irish Aid, USAID, and the World Food Programme.
Together with our broadcasting and project partners, we reach tens of millions of small-scale farmers with life-changing information and enable them to have a stronger voice in their own development.
FRI is an equal opportunity employer. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
No telephone calls please.