POSITION TITLE : Manager, Public Engagement
POSITION LOCATION : Ottawa, Canada
REPORTS TO : Senior Manager, Communications & Philanthropy
CONTRACT TERM : Indeterminate
APPLICATION DEADLINE : March 1, 2020
EXPECTED START DATE : April 1, 2020
Are you passionate about public engagement and global citizenship? WUSC is currently looking for a Manager, Public Engagement to provide leadership in its public engagement activities with international volunteers, local committee members, and other key stakeholders.
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people. We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision. Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees. WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million. We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Volunteering for development is one of the important ways in which WUSC pursues its mission. WUSC’s Volunteer Cooperation Program (VCP) has ambitious targets to mobilize hundreds of skilled Canadian volunteers each year to support partners in developing countries where we are working to advance gender equality and facilitate economic opportunities for poor and marginalized young people, especially young women and refugees. Overseas, our volunteers collaborate with a wide variety of partners, including enterprise and social enterprise development incubators, skills training centres, enterprises, women's organizations, and youth groups. In Canada, WUSC works with institutions and individuals to identify, prepare, and support volunteers who travel overseas to support our partners for various durations of time. Our network in Canada also works with WUSC to raise awareness among Canadians to inspire greater action on global development issues. Our collective focus is on sustainable and inclusive changes to create a better world for youth.
Under the supervision of the Senior Manager, Communications and Philanthropy & the Director, VCP, the Manager, Public Engagement will be responsible for public engagement strategy development and oversight; the successful delivery of public engagement campaigns and events; monitoring and reporting; and personnel management.
Strategy Development and Oversight
- Coordinate the development of an organizational public engagement strategy, in collaboration with the VCP, campus, and communication teams.
- Provide oversight on the VCP public engagement strategy implementation, evaluation, and ongoing adaptation.
- Participate in program and corporate meetings to ensure public engagement perspective is included in broader programmatic and organizational strategies and work plans.
Public Engagement Campaigns and Events
- Coordinate public engagement campaigns and events, including strategy development, content development, and dissemination/marketing strategy, in collaboration with the VCP, campus, and communications teams.
- Identify, secure, and manage relationships with campaign and event suppliers for VCP public engagement, including venues, marketing firms, media firms, and printing firms, in collaboration with the campus and communications teams.
- Provide oversight on campaign and event implementation, evaluation, and adaptation.
- Update overarching vision for WUSC’s approach to public engagement training, in person and online, for international volunteers, Local Committee members, and other members of the WUSC network, in collaboration with the campus and communications teams.
- Collaborate with volunteer cooperation and development organizations to participate in sector-wide public engagement campaigns and activities.
Public Engagement Monitoring and Reporting
- Support the development of a new public engagement results monitoring tool, in collaboration with the VCP, campus, communications, and IT teams.
- Monitor public engagement results to identify areas of concern and growth.
- Adapt public engagement strategies and work plans to reflect results and lessons learned.
- Feed public engagement results into the VCP annual report to funder.
- Provide direct, daily guidance and support to the VCP public engagement team, including the Volunteer Engagement Officer, the Campus Engagement Officer, and the Administrative Officer.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. marketing, communications, public relations)
Experience & Competencies
- A minimum of 7 years related experience in progressively more responsible positions, including proven personnel management experience and excellent project or program management.
- Solid work experience in:
- public engagement strategy and campaign development, implementation, and evaluation
- developing and managing effective partnerships, including within the development community and media in Canada
- budget management
- event planning, training delivery and tool development
- mobilization of volunteers and youth
- Demonstrated human resources and team management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build cross-functional teams and develop international relationships.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated capacity and willingness to work in partnership and with different cultural groups; staff and volunteers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French, and a clear, concise, persuasive writing style.
- Significant experience formulating, implementing, monitoring and analyzing results of major engagement initiatives.
- Flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high levels of responsibility and multiple priorities
- Excellent administration and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Experience in working with volunteers in a development program is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of gender equality and international volunteer cooperation.
- Curious, enthusiastic and willing to innovate and adapt.
- Complete fluency in English and French is required.
WHY WORK WITH WUSC?
Join Us. Our work is important, cutting-edge, and fast-paced. We encourage curiosity, innovation, and flexibility. And we provide a phenomenal learning experience.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference in the lives of youth around the world. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, economic opportunities and empowerment.
The WUSC office is centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Successful applicants will be required to undertake an enhanced criminal record check where appropriate.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.